I believe that all people deserve to have honest, respectful and appropriate medical attention.

rosemary - richmond, Virginia
Themes: family, illness

My twenty-two year old son has been to more doctors, so-called “specialists” than I can remember. each one was positive they knew what my kid was suffering from. Each one, misdiagnosed him. Which means he has been on superfluous drugs on and off for eight year. In all of this time, I have placed my trust and hope in each doctor. I am not one to trust easily, but when it comes to your kid-you so desperately want to find a cure that you put aside all doubt and choose “to believe”. Eight years ago when he initially became ill, ie., lethatrgic, easy to tire, and grouchy, he was teted for several diseases via blood tests. All came back negative, including that for Lyme isease. Eight years later, inumerable diagnostic, psychiatric, neurologic and cardiactric tests later, he has been finally diagnosed with-chronic Lyme Disease. Apparently, the simple blood test that a patient gets at their general practicioner or pediatrician more often than not comes back as a false positive and that is that. If I had only known that a more thorough blood test is required to diagnose Lyme, I could have gotten him on a simple regiment of antibiotics and cured him early. Instead, I had to have him endure years of being told that his symptoms were all in his head, or was a cardiac problem that could not be explained, or was ADD, OCD, depression, or atypical migraines. He is now disabled to the point that he can no longer work, or attend college, he is virtually unable to leave the house, with Lyme affecting his brain stem and heart. Finally, he has the chance to be cured, if only our government acknowledged that there is such a thing as chronic Lyme disease. I must now find a way to pay the possibly $24,000 to have him receive the intraveineous antibiotics that he requires. I believe that he will have a chance at a normal life, but I believe that more people need to be aware of this disease first. Thank you.