An Artist’s Desire

Jim - Loveland, Colorado

I live my life as an artist, facing the perpetual question of the mysteries and pursuit of communicating philosophy and ideologies within the spectra of the materialistic and formless realms of my surroundings. My unspoken and unknown attachments to the masses, is what binds me as an artist to my intention of never stopping this unfulfillable journey. I have found myself dynamically exposed to many different forms of art, from music to craftsmanship, and literature to the purism of fly-fishing; my love for these things has long since encompassed my entire day, every day.

However, like any artist, I must have an audience, a receiving mind, to survive, to be observed, it is for those with an open mind to look within my creations and find the meaning of my artistic points of view. Regardless the form of art, it must be able to represent many receiving minds in order to be regarded as good art, let alone great art. I thrive on the reactions to my art, it is what propels my inner artist to spend every waking moment deliberating the context of the present moment just in case there is something there, to build something from the nothing, as it is always there waiting for the me to discover. When I find this, it is harnessed and brought a little closer for observation and then a metamorphosis happens and then I do whatever it takes to broadcast it throughout the universe. I find it my responsibility to render the formless on an unbiased premise from former intake of prior artists, and with or without facts of science; but yet to uphold something new and un-thought of, unconsidered, perhaps some horizon of a new frontier of understanding.

Within the pursuit of the true artist, I must be a member of society and work and make money, between these facts and the fact that art takes all day, I find myself in a rather tight spot, a place where you can find a lot of artists, the starving artist scenario.

So, I have managed to create a self-employed, semi-retired lifestyle; which all day, and every day is artwork, half professional and the other, not. No less, I am a volunteer to the great world of art, donating my life to the pursuit of understanding and possibly answering some of the “big” questions that are on everyone’s mind, through some sort of relative materialistic art form. Our economic society shouldn’t rob anyone of what they were born and set out to do strictly in benefit of the society as a whole; the solution could be referred to as a certain “utopian circle of philosophical determination”.

I insist on this determination in my life, I can and will remain successfully self-employed in order to be flexible with my limited time. I want to focus on semi-retirement so I can take my time now to wake in the morning and write a poem after fly-fishing and then only to attain perfectionism through custom woodworking during the enterprising portion of the day; after which I will go home and read to self-educate and play music all night to my souls content. Some days are different than others, but all my days are of constant contemplation of life and artistic righteousness. No other way will suffice; those who read, see, touch or hear my art; will always be my inspiration and my motivation; it’s just a matter of getting it to them and reveling in their reactions. Of course, even this essay and everything it represents is nothing more than a natural and impressionistic work of literary art, specifically meant for all the eyes and ears that receive it. I will continue to dedicate such genius and innovative effort to create such long-lasting impressions for the benefit of others; that could very well last long after my lifetime. Many artists of many centuries have proved this to us, and I am here to contribute to, & believe in, the inherit ways of an artist’s desire.