Money Can Not Buy Happiness

Emily - Raleigh, North Carolina

Money Can Not Buy Happiness

When I was a little girl, about 6 or 7 years old, I always wanted to have the newest and most expensive toys. When I finally saved up my money to buy a new Barbie, I would beg my mom to take me to Target. As soon as I got into the car I would start ripping open the box, cardboard and wire twist ties would go everywhere. I would be so excited to finally play Barbie that I forgot about my twin brother.

My twin brother and I have always been close, even when we were younger. We would play together and make messes together, we were the best of friends, but when I got my new Barbie, I would just ditch him. He would ask me to play and I would say no. He would ask me to push him on the swing and I would say no. It was like my new Barbie took my brothers place in my life. Everything that I did I would do with my Barbie, instead of my brother. When I had finally had had enough with my new Barbie, I would go and spend countless hours playing with my brother. When I played with brother, I could not be any happier. I was all smiles and laughs when I was with him. With my Barbie I was nothing like that I would sit in my room and just pretend. When I was with my brother I was really doing something, I was running and sweating, just having a blast.

Now that I am older, I look back in my life and realize that playing with my brother made me happy. That I enjoyed the times that I spent with my brother, rather then the few hours that I would spend with my Barbie. I have realized that money can not buy happiness. I was not truly happy when I was playing with my Barbie, but I was when I was playing with my brother. The money that I spent on Barbies was nothing compared to the few hours I spent playing with them, but money could not buy my brother and I spent many countless days playing with him.

Money may be able to buy fancy cars and big houses, but those items are nothing compared to what we are given. I was given my brother and my Barbie couldn’t compare to that. Money can not buy happiness. Money can not buy what would naturally be given, like a child or a wife. Those things are priceless and money can not buy them. This I believe that money can not buy happiness.