Amy - Van Buren, Ohio
Themes: Christianity

It’s a difficult challenge, defining core beliefs and a philosophy for life. This is a challenge for me. Although you have known me all my life I could write a book about what you don’t know.

A core belief is created when you do something that goes against your personal values. It becomes an inner message you play over and over to yourself, until you begin to believe it—whether it’s true or not. I think that is true in my life. My core beliefs make me who I am and are the basis of my philosophy. The beliefs that I’ve lived with since childhood include worthlessness; no value; fear; always at fault; too sensitive; girls are not as important as boys; I am bad; unimportant; Mom and Dad were always right……; I am musically talented; I am smart.

From these beliefs and my upbringing in church, my philosophy of life was formed. My definition for philosophy is simple: A system of values by which one lives. To be brief I’ll describe the 3 most important believes I attribute to living a good life.

The first is strive to find Christ, live as he lived. The church, though important, is community but our personal relationship with God lives in our hearts. Give help to those less fortunate, help others to find their way; follow the Ten Commandments; find instruction in the Word, let the Holy Spirit work wonders in your life and find the power of prayer and pray, pray, pray.

Secondly, love your family, your entire family. Love them whether or not you agree, whether you see one another often, no matter how you define success, whether they agree with your lifestyle, whether you like them or not. No matter what, love your family. Love your spouse and hold true to your vows. Love your parents even when you know they are wrong; love your children when they make you proud or disappoint you, love your brothers and sisters when they have hurt you. Just love each other every day and pray each one finds God.

Thirdly, as I follow God’s road for me, this one is easy. Value all human beings. Do so by living a life of service to others. Help whenever you can, don’t judge others, be ethical in all you do, work hard, be honest because lies always eat away at your soul, be charitable, and be tolerant. Help those that are sick and share their burden when possible. Have fun, enjoy your life, God wants us to enjoy life and to enjoy him. Laugh often, remember what’s important. Work is work and life is life. Life is the precursor to heaven, that’s my destination.