Making a Liquid Pitch

Philip - Albuquerque, New Mexico

On this episode of “This I Believe”, we introduce aspiring art education professor, Philip Duroseau with his account on human relationships with his “This I believe” essay, “Making a Liquid Pitch.”

My relationships with citizens I’d known in the past were never realized for their apparent bounty. The fruits of my labor were always taken by others because I would volunteer my uncharged skill. It wasn’t until having my first Gallery show and 500 dollars later that I realized my speaking ability could mature and outside of being an artist I could become a great speaker.

I wanted to identify the relationship between well written texts and effectively helping someone get to their next destination, be it the bus stop or penthouse floor. I devote many hours to writing papers and reflected upon particular episodes of conversation, I always managed to find some line of dialogue I omitted , which was pertinent and relevant, which I managed to not say.

I faired poorly in disclosing my opinions and left my conversation open-ended and unproductive. My mother always said, “You don’t ask, you don’t get.” This saying echoes in my ear every time I enter a public place to conduct some sort of business usually involving my back pocket.

I wondered more about the citizens response to my lines of dialogue, instead of waiting for them to say a phrase for themselves. “If you want information, you must ask for it” are words for every occasion. If you put yourself in that opening. There are predicaments and then there are positions of valor, I desired the latter.

Every person you interact with is for intellectual profit and always good for a sales pitch, even if they were for practice. The single-serving friend can exist, and your pitch will make them think if it can fit inside their cup. With thought provoked intensity, you decided when you would become their main course.

Thinking before I spoke became a fulcrum because a conversation inside of 30 seconds was just as important as a conversation longer than 30 minutes.

The citizens ability to communicate is only surpassed by his ability to reach his next destination. I enjoyed the conversation I’d had with people I only saw once, so far.

I pondered the rigor in those tapping-telegraph clicks that will produce messages only Morse code can convey. Instead, think of a world where your hands do the talking and your mouth wasn’t there.

If I ever expected to walk away satisfied, I would have to learn to open my mouth and explode for an opportunity. A persons energy I understood could radically affect the energy of others if it was simply a great idea with a will to persuade behind it. This always had a way to glue the audience to your every word.

I believe a society divided by political, economic, and social perspectives can blend together and when they speak well can convey a message so others will listen, they can understand and produce results.

If you would like to submit an essay for our NPR segment, “This I Believe” log-on to npr.org. This is National Public Radio.