Faith Statements

Kati - columbus, Ohio

Whenever I tell people that I am a Unitarian Universalist, everyone wants to know what I believe. However, for most of the past year, I had no idea. Even now, I’m not sure whether or not God exists and I believe that for now there is no way to tell. I think that it is quite possible that there is a higher power, but that it is just as likely that there is not. In my opinion, if God does exist, he or she will accept people for who they are no matter what their religion, race, sexual identity, or beliefs may be. I believe that there is no afterlife and that when we die our bodies will decompose and feed the plants and animals, and in that way we will live on forever in the cycle of nature. Because of that, when I die I want to be buried without a coffin underneath the seed of a tree so that I can live on forever in that tree. When I say that, I don’t mean that I will be the tree, but just that I will nourish the tree and give it life. I believe very strongly in the Unitarian Universalist principles. I believe that the best things you can do in life are to be happy and to try to make others happy as well. I believe in truth and justice for everyone, and in doing my part to make the world a better place. I believe in living life to its fullest. I do that by making a list of goals to achieve before I die. I currently have 303 goals and I have completed 44 of them. Some of my favorites are: 1.Learn to speak 5 languages. 21. Go skydiving. 87. Get dreadlocks. 192. Be a teacher in a third world country. 278. Be someone’s hero. I believe in community and in helping to support others. I believe in the study and acceptance of other’s beliefs. I believe in nature in all its beauty. I believe in the thoughts expressed in Desiderata. I believe that you can be spiritual without having to believe in God and I believe that you can have faith in anything you choose to have faith in. I also believe in lots of small things, like that dandelions are the most beautiful flowers in the world, or that rain is the best kind of weather. I believe in having faith in the good side of people and of not judging others. I believe in peace and in being yourself, no matter who is watching. In the past, when my beliefs have changed, or I was unsure, I got upset or worried. Recently, I realized how silly that is. I learned that there is only one thing in life that is constant, and that is change. The only thing you can do is choose to accept it and be happy. My beliefs will always be changing and that change is a beautiful thing.