I believe in the power of touch.

Sandy - San Angelo, Texas

I believe in the power of human touch. My dad died when I was very young, and my mother wasn’t very demonstrative. We knew without question that she loved us, but she just didn’t SHOW it a lot. After she had grandchildren, she loosened up quite a bit, but I decided that I was going to show my children – and everyone else I knew (or didn’t know!) that I cared for them.

I am a “hugger,” and I touch people when I talk to them. I am the person some of you run from! I believe that a smile and a warm hug with tears of joy or condolence will help almost anything.

Years ago I read a magazine article about a lady who was in a nursing home. Her husband came every day to see her. Each evening, he would sit on the bed and hold her in his arms and sing the beautiful old waltz, “When I Grow Too Old to Dream”………

“When I grow too old to dream, I’ll have you to remember. When I grow too old to dream, I’ll have you in my heart. So kiss me, my sweet, and let us part. For when I grow too old to dream, I’ll have you in my heart.” And he would kiss her Goodnight and go home.

As often happens, the old man died first, and his wife was inconsolable. She cried and cried, but the nights were the worst. Then one evening, a loving nurse came into her room, and she sat on the bed and held the frail, sick woman in her arms. With tears streaming down her face, she began to sing, “When I grow too old to dream, I’ll have you to remember. When I grow too old to dream, I’ll have you in my heart. So kiss me, my sweet, and let us part. For when I grow too old to dream, I’ll have you in my heart.” Then she kissed her gently and left the room. She did that every night as long as the lady lived so her friend could sleep in peace. The lady told her that was the first time anyone had touched her in love since her husband died.

How many people do you know that need just a touch from you? Don’t keep it too yourself; it’s too important not to give away. I believe in the power of touch.