Power of Effort

Jiyoung - Kenmore, Washington

When I was 20 years old, I didn’t want to live anymore. I had been studying Electronic Material Engineering, but I didn’t want to study that. I decided to study Psychology at a new university, but I failed my entrance examination, and I lost my hope. I studied hard when I started. I had never studied like this before. As time went by, I was more and more exhausted and I couldn’t stand studying. I was full of annoyance every day. I took a rest making plausible excuses that I was tired. I don’t know where it came from, but I thought I would be lucky. I came up for the entrance examination. When the results were announced, I was very scared because I knew I didn’t study enough. I failed the exam. I was frustrated. I looked for a corner in my room and stayed there for one month. All I could do was cry. I avoided everyone, including my parents and best friends.

A month later, I went to the living room. I turned on the TV because I didn’t like silence anymore. I realized one thing staying in my room. The more I was alone, the more negative I became. I watched people who live to do their best everyday on TV, even though they can’t see or hear, or don’t have any support. One of the most impressive people was a pianist who had only three fingers on each hand. She is an example of one percent skill, ninety nine percent effort. I thought about how many times she has made an effort, and I thought about myself. I had everything: money to study, parents who support me, and a healthy body.

Effort was the only thing I didn’t have. I hadn’t done my best although I knew the test was indispensible to me. I should have put up with the severe times and tried harder. After my failure, I realized that I have to do my best with everything. Especially if the more I want to gain something, the more I must try. I went back to my original university. I studied really hard. I didn’t respond to text massages and phone call from friends. Also if I had test on the next day, I didn’t eat dinner to save time because eating dinner took almost one hour. I couldn’t go to the bathroom because I sat down too long without exercising. And finally, I got an A in my all classes. I was very glad.

I believe in effort. Before I realized the power of effort, I was just a loser. However, now I feel as if I know the big secret of the world. There is a Korean baseball player who I like. His name is Seung Yeop Lee. He always shows effort, and he is humble in the stadium or in an interview. He said that if you really do your best, you can succeed. It has become my motto.