Sports is My Therapy

Jill-Annette - Waynesville, Missouri

Running should be a form of therapy because every time I get on that field or court I know my mind is right. It takes stamina to pull through all of that muscle pain, but it takes courage and confidence to show your skill. My game helps me release my emotion and channel it into determination. Based on my thoughts on sports, this I believe that athletics can not only heal, but also teach.

Growing up I had a horrible temper and I didn’t know how to channel my rage into something more productive. As I got older my liking for physical activity became more apparent when I used to join in my older brother’s yard games with his friends. At the age of four I began taking great interest in almost every sport my brother was in, I guess it was a way of finding out what sport was best for me. Sports, for me, taught me how to control my attitude and how to cooperate with others. In my past my attitude had ultimately taken over my true persona, but when I’m playing a game and I’m in that mode I learn to keep my cool and stay strong for my team.

“There is no ‘me’ in team.”

This quote has always remained in the back of my mind when participating in a sporting event, and especially when I’m playing a game. Call this quote a cliché if you will but it baffles me how one simple line of words can have such an effect on a person. However, for those who are active in sports and for those who know what it means when you’re on top for the first, second, or third time, you understand how powerful those words can be. If there’s no balance, no center, or cooperation then who are you to call your group of athletes a team? When you’re a part of a team you have a responsibility. When you’re on a team you give an oath that you will show respect to not only your teammates, but the game itself. Playing on a sports team has helped me build my character and strength, physically as well as mentally.

I believe that sports have a power of healing as well as strengthening the body to push it to its limits. Sports keep the children out of the streets and the bad attitudes in the gutter. Personally, I think that athletics allows a person to become an individual on their own terms and it’s that person’s decision whether they are going to show off their individuality or not. For me, being a part of a team, good or bad, has continuously taught me a countless number of valuable lessons. Through the hardships and the laughs I can’t thank society enough for creating such a revolutionary program for all to enjoy.