I Beleive That No One Should Be Judged

Tyler - sterling, Virginia

When I was seven, my mom and I were driving on the highway. When we were stopped at a red light, a dirty man holding a bucket approached our window. My mother instantly rolled her window up. I asked her why she did this. She told me, “I don’t know whether he’s a real fundraiser of not.” I sat quietly and thought about it for a while. Then it struck me, if he was a real fundraiser, wouldn’t it be worth throwing the couple of dollars even if he wasn’t. I raised this question to my mom later and she thought for a minute too. She couldn’t come up with an argument to this point.

I believe that no one should be judged. This doesn’t mean, however, that I never do it. I often struggle when I see people who are easy to judge. I battle every day to put all stereotypes and preconceived notions out of my head.

I believe that everyone’s life is their own. In a world where women are called murderers for having abortions and people are called freaks for wanting to marry the same sex; I hold steadfast to the idea that any choice you make is between you, your body, and your God. Beyond that, no one, especially not the government, is entitled to tell you what to do.

Coming from the background of a single mother household; I’m used to being judged. At a very early age I grew tired of people making excuses and expecting certain behavior and actions merely because of my upbringing. That’s when I started to prove them wrong. I believe that the only way to prevent the world from judging you is to make their assumptions wrong. Most people are often amazed to hear of my past, and I’m glad. Not because it makes me look better, but because maybe that person will think twice before assuming things about people again.

I believe that judgments only makes the gaps between people greater. I am excited every time one of my own judgments is proved wrong. I believe that it makes me a better person and a more compassionate human being. This process is never ending, because it is human nature to jump to conclusions. I believe that if people took a second to get to know the people they judge, they would find an amazing fact: we are all just people.