Believe In Yourself

shalonda - raytown, Missouri

Believe In Yourself

What I believe is that people shouldn’t put you down for what you want to be in life.

When I was in the eleventh grade I had finally decided what I wanted to be, a neurologist.

So I went to tell my parents and my boyfriend. My mom and boyfriend were very excited for me that I had finally found something to do with my life. But my dad was a different story. He and his friends told me that I would never make it and I didn’t have what it took to be a doctor because I was a black female. At this point I was crushed and very confused. My mom said, “Maybe you should start at the bottom, and work your way up; maybe you might find something else. Besides, that is a long time to be in school, and you might not like it after all.”

After hearing this from my parents, that really made a terrible blow for my self-esteem. I was so hurt that even till this day my self-esteem is still pretty low and it is causing me to really doubt what I am truly capable of doing or being in life. I have tried working in different jobs, but nothing ever really makes me feel fulfilled unless I am working in some kind of healthcare field.

Since then I have worked with some excellent nurses and doctors who have really brought that spark back into my life. I have three young children who I try every day to encourage to be whatever they want. I try to be as positive as I can, but I’m also honest with them about the struggles that they might have to face to get to where they want to be. I tell them to keep their heads up, and work really hard and they will make it. I say to never ever let anyone tell them that they can’t be or do what they want in life.

I have recently this past year decided to fulfill what I was truly meant to be in life, a nurse. I am taking classes to help me to prepare for what I enjoy very much, and that is taking care of people. So when people try and tell you that you wouldn’t be good at something, don’t believe what they are saying. Believe in what your heart is telling you and follow that. Believe in yourself.