Take In The Good Times:

Rachel - Comstock, New York
Themes: setbacks

Take In The Good Times:

When I was seven years old my step-dad fell into a coma for seventy-two days. He had been burning the lid off a barrel and it blew up. The lid flew off and hit him in the head causing part of his skull to drive into his brain. My younger brothers and I were the only ones to witness this horrifying event. On the way to the hospital, his heart stopped two or three times. During his time at the hospital he wasn’t expected to live but he pulled through. As I recall, I was only able to visit him once or twice. I was very nervous to go in to see him. He looked different and he had to have tubes in him to feed him. He had to learn how to walk again and talk again. I believe in taking in the good times in life because life can change in the blink of an eye.

My step dad has been a part of my life since I was little. I would consider him to be my father. Even after his accident he would bring my brothers and me fishing, swimming and hiking in the summer and sledding in the winter. We would have lots of fun times and I will never forget them.

After the accident, even though my step dad did the same things he used to with my brothers, and me, he wasn’t quite the same. Not long after the accident he and my mom split up. I never understood why, but it did upset me. He was the only person I had as a father-figure. My mom, one of my brothers and I, moved about two hours away because she met someone else and my youngest brother stayed with his grandmother so he could see his father, (my step-dad). I hardly got to visit my other brother or my step-dad. When I did go visit him I would spend as much time as I could with him and when I wasn’t visiting I would call him and catch up on things. My step-dad, my brothers and I would go hiking and swimming to places I had never been before and we would watch movies and stay up all night. Eventually all this stopped when I wouldn’t see my step-dad for months because he had met someone else also and was helping her build a house in Pennsylvania. It surprised me that both my mom and step-dad had moved on and were seeing other people because they had seemed like they had loved one another and I could never have pictured them with other people. He ended up moving to Pennsylvania after the house was done. Everything went down hill from there. My step-dad would hardly come back to New York to visit. He had re-married and he wanted full custody of his son, (my youngest brother). It felt like I was growing further apart from him. It kind of broke my heart because my little brother had wanted nothing to do with him after awhile because he had a temper now, and he was causing problems with his family. For the first time in my life he had scared me because of his temper and the way he acted now. He was never able to get custody over my brother because he had caused so many problems the court hadn’t allowed it and my brother was scared of him. I don’t know if it was the medication he had been switched to, his new wife or just the effects of his accident getting worse but I don’t know my step-dad anymore.

I haven’t talked to my step-dad for a while now, maybe even almost a year. I do think about him a lot though and I would say he is the only person in this world I could call my dad because he was there for me almost all of my childhood. I miss him and I worry about him because he never used to act the way he does and I don’t know what changed that. I don’t understand how he could basically disown his family like he has. I just hope one day he can fix his problems with his family and his son and come back to being a good father again. He has hurt my little brother so much and it hurts me inside as well, because I don’t see how someone can walk away from their child for someone else. I guess I probably won’t ever understand all of this but it will always be in the back of my mind. I will never forget the good times we had together and how he used to be a big part of my life. Keeping that in mind though, I know things can never be the same because something happened to him that might not ever be able to be changed.

I believe in taking in the good things in life because life could change in the blink of an eye.