Pick Up And Move Forward:

Katelynn - Hudson Falls, New York
Themes: fear

Pick Up And Move Forward:

There have been many inspiring situations that have occurred in my life. My life has gone down paths that I particularly didn’t care for. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t have picked some of them. Still, these situations have played a big part in my life. There are some that have affected me more than others, but they have all had different ways of teaching me something.

I was about 10 years old and living in a small upstate New York town called Fort Ann. One day, I was outside playing with my dog, named Toby. He was just a puppy at the time, but on this day I noticed that this old, weird looking truck pulled over on the side of the road, so I started calling “Toby” so he would come to me. To my surprise, this man got out of the truck and started saying “come here puppy-puppy, come here, do you want a treat, come here come here, do you want a bone?” and all I could do was try to yell but the guy kept saying “shhh…be quiet, just come over here and bring your dog, he is so cute”. All I could do in reply was yell; I was so scared I couldn’t even run! So after a couple of seconds my father came out and the guy got in his truck and took off! Then my dad hoped in his truck and took off after the man. Come to find out the man lived down the road. So my dad asked what his problem was and why he was trying to get our attention. The man replied, “I thought that it was my dog!” and my dads says, “No” and you better not come by our house again! So from that day forward I have not seen him.

I am 17 now and it still effects me. I don’t like to go outside in the dark by myself, or go shopping, or even go into different stores by myself. I can’t believe that people can be like this. But I think it plays a bigger part in my life then it should. It has been seven years know and I still dwell over it. It a life long threat to me.

I’m going off to college, starting in the fall, and I’m really nervous about it. I hate meeting new people and I don’t like to be by myself. I need to overcome that fear, but it’s going to be hard.

As much as I have been through for many years, I realize it is all of the cruel and disturbing and unwelcome times that I must overcome. I believe you need to remember that you can always pick up where you left off and move forward!