Pendulums Infininte, Pendulums Eternal

Justin - Fort Ann, New York

Pendulums Infinite, Pendulums Eternal

I believe that life is balanced, much like a constantly swinging pendulum that is affected by our actions and experiences. It is a constantly shifting and changing occurrence that will not stop until that pendulum in our lives makes the final swing towards death, and swings no more. For every good action, there will either be good actions returned or one returned with cruelty. The same applies to a terrible act; it may either inspire a good act returned, or another terrible deed may come upon oneself or others.

The constant swinging of the pendulum is not limited to simply the battle of good and evil, regardless of how complex it may be. Emotions, too, are affected and hold significance. If someone becomes mildly happy, there is the chance that the pendulum may continue to swing in his or her favor and he or she become happier, or it may do harm and swing towards a sorrowful tone. The same applies to the inverse, and furthermore, if someone is at the extreme of happiness and pride, they can easily or with great difficultly swing towards the other side, or maybe never alter again. Pendulums, like so many other things in life, can get stuck.

I have learned this most deeply in my life, and I see this balance everywhere. When a bully picks on a defenseless kid, I see the loss of innocence, but an increase in personal strength. When I see reports of soldiers’ deaths on the news, I remember that many lives have been saved by their sacrifice. When a murderer steals a life, I see the loss of that life, but a revelation of a dangerous mind that must be detained becomes self-apparent.

There have been moments in my life, such as after losing a loved one, where I have been at the brink of despair. From this point, those who remain and are closest to me have pushed my pendulum back to a comfort zone, with some of the pained burden lifted. The gain from those losses was a deeper relationship with my friends. I have lost much in my life, but in return I have gained much. The dark and sometimes dreary pendulum of my life has brought a balance to it in no larger way than through the loss of my Mother. She passed away in a terrible accident when I was very, very young. Now I live without ever knowing the woman who gave me life, nor the absent father that I would love if I found him. I don’t think anyone would wish to grow up without his or her parents, I certainly don’t, but because my Mother passed into the next world, I have gained much in return. I am financially secure, I have several dear friends that I would not have made, I’ve gained a power that has helped me through troublesome dilemmas with the strength she had and has given to me as her, as our, legacy. This power has taught me many things, this legacy has taught me many things. Empathy is probably the greatest of lessons I learned from this. Empathy, and sympathy, and understanding lead to a power greater than one achieved by the sword or shield.

Life is balanced throughout all its inner and outer workings, this much I know to be true. Every action we take is rewarded with good or evil, happiness or sorrow, love or hatred. Every experience we deal with gives us something, whether it is pain, strength, wealth, or knowledge. Our pendulums perpetually swing back and forth, and we cannot stop it without unlocking the secrets of this world and what may lie beyond. But then, perhaps, it will swing still, when we meet our makers, as we all must one day do when our time comes.