Living Life to The Fullest

Katie - Fort Ann, New York

Living Life to The Fullest

Never take life for granted. Whenever the opportunity comes along to hang out with friends, or to go and do something spontaneous, always seize the moment because you never know when life will pass you by. Life is like a picture that you can stare into forever; but, it can all be changed in the flick of a brush and this is what I believe.

A good friend once said to me “live your life to the fullest for you never know when it may end”. I never quite understood or truly believed how true this was until the day that same good friend, Nikki, was killed in a car accident. In the blink of an eye, she was gone, just like that. When she was alive, Nikki would live everyday to the fullest. So carefree, bubbly, and free spirited, she would go out of her way to make someone happy. One day, I came home in the worst mood possible because I had failed my math test, I was fighting with my friend, and it just seemed like my whole day was horrible, but then I talked to Nikki. She immediately came and picked me up and we went to her house and she started making these funny faces and doing this stupid dance-anything she could do- to make me smile. Ultimately, it worked, and I immediately started smiling and having a good time. What I thought to be meaningless fun, to her was actually one of the many life lessons to be passed on to a friend, just waiting to be learned by me, and also, oddly, one of the hardest lessons to learn.

Nikki has been gone eight months now and it has been the quickest eight months of my life, showing me just how quick life goes by because I know it seems like just yesterday Nikki and I were hanging out and having a good time. Though losing someone I love has been one of the hardest obstacles in my life, it has helped me to learn that I really should live every day to the fullest and do anything that will make it fun, and never let what anyone says bother me because life is too short. Now I live it to the fullest.