Where I Want To Be

Julie - Fort Ann, New York

Where I Want to Be

Experiences have happened in my life that have made me who I want to be. I believe in working hard to get what I want. In doing so, I have accomplished many things, big and small, such as hiking the Grand Canyon, getting into Alfred State College, and making the “High Honors” list. Great opportunities have also come my way in my life.

When I was younger, I got the opportunity to watch my dog have a C-section. I found out about the C-section two weeks before it was scheduled, and my dad asked me if I wanted to go with him. “Of course I wanted to go”, I said, and not only that, I wanted to watch! So my dad called our vet, Dr. Jeff Myers, and talked to him about the possibility of my being able to watch the surgery. Dr. Myers decided that it would be fine, as long as I could handle it. I knew I would be fine. I had seen all my dogs give birth many times, and this was just a different way of giving birth. I cannot exactly remember all the thoughts that were running through my head, but I know that at that time, all I felt was excitement. Finally, the morning came. My dad and I showed up at the office with our dog and brought her into the back room where the surgery would be performed. The veterinary technicians showed me how everything was set up and then they gave my dog the anesthetics. When Jeff came in, he started in on the surgery. I was a little nervous, for I had never seen something like this happen before. I had no idea what it would be like. When he began cutting her open, he explained what he was doing. He showed me where her uterus was, which held all of her eleven puppies, and moved her bladder and other organs around to get to it. Finally, he opened it up and began taking the puppies out. It was amazing. One by one the puppies came to life.

Now, having almost graduated from high school, I have decided to take advantage of my opportunity and pursue a career as a veterinary technician because of my love for animals; not just dogs, but all animals in general. Between this experience and spending most of my time working on farms with many types of animals, I have realized how much it matters to me to be able to help animals. I discovered my passion, and when I did, I knew that this was going to be my path to follow.