The Importance of Independence

Cameron - Comstock, New York

The Importance of Independence:

Independence can be defined as a freedom from the control, influence, support, aid, or the like, of others. This is what I believe in. I believe in independence.

Independence can be a very important factor in life. I have recently learned this in my own life, as a matter of fact. Ever since I was a kid, my parents have been extremely protective of me. They have been over-protective in my eyes, of course, but not theirs. They have always thought they were being responsible and reasonable parents, which I have debated almost all of my life. I felt as if I lived under a “shell” all my life. At this time in my life, I can see that this was really true.

About a year and a half ago, I started watching older movies with a friend of the family. He started inviting me over to his house on Friday nights to hang out. Eventually, like now, I go to his house all weekend, every weekend, to hang out. After a while, we started watching these movies every so often. These situations led to him asking me about these movies and if I’ve seen them before. For every movie he asked me if I’ve seen, I have had to say “no”. I have never seen any of the “good” movies that he has seen. This experience of my parents being far too over-protective is, in my belief, slowing my ability to become an adult.

I have always been affected by having such controlling parents. Growing up was a difficult thing for me to do. All of my friends at school seemed to have “way cooler” parents, as I struggled with strict parents. Even now, being 18 and trying to act it, my parents still try to get in the way. I’ve been attempting to really mature myself much more as I prepare for adulthood. But again, independence has been met and challenged by my parents. I have made arrangements for myself, once I’m out of school, to survive. I got myself a well-paying job and found myself a really good apartment to live in. I thought this would be good news to my parents that I wanted to get out on my own and have an independent lifestyle; to get out there and be independent. But, their coddling ways contrast with what I would like to do with my own life. I’ve done as much respecting as possible, waiting until I was eighteen, waiting until I’m out of school. But it seems nothing is good enough for them except if it’s something they want.

Independence is a really important thing to me, since I’ve experienced very little of it. Eventually, I think there is a point where parents just have to let go and let their children grow up. If this naturally occurring phase is locked away, it could lead to more substantial problems in the future. The need for independence cannot be ignored. It is in all parents’ nature to want to protect their children, but there is differences to letting them have a life and not having one at all.

Cameron Crandall