With Me Everyday

Keri - Comstock, New York
Themes: afterlife

With Me Every Day:

I never met my grandfather. He had died two years before I was born. He had a serious heart condition, seeing how he was a heavy smoker. During one of his examinations at the doctor’s office, a nurse had hooked him up to a treadmill that was used as a stress machine. This machine would be able to determine how much stress his body could essentially handle. They had applied too much stress to him, and his body could not take it all in at once. My grandfather collapsed and later died in the doctor’s office. He may have passed away; however, his spirit is still very much alive.

Even though he is not physically here anymore, spiritually, he is. I can really sense my grandfather’s presence when I am in my car. My mother had given me an angel pin when I had first started driving. She had told me that this angel will protect me because it was my grandfather. Even so, every day I drive to school, and every day I pray not to get into some sort of accident. Then, on my way home from school one day, there was a car passing another coming in the opposite direction and they did not see me coming. If I had not gone off the side of the road then, it would have been a serious head-on collision. My first instinct, which was completely human, was to tense up and freeze. My mind was not thinking correctly, and then it happened. It was as if he had taken over my mind and body. I know it was my grandfather who was with me that day because he helped me gather the courage that is within me, and it was almost as if he helped me to turn the steering wheel. Sure, I may have done a lot of damage to my car, however; it is a lot better than damaging my own life. During the time that I was off the road, I looked up at my angel pin, and I knew that my angel had saved my life that day. There have been many other “close calls” in my life, just not in a car, most of which I thank him for getting me out of safely.

I believe in the unknown; just because you can’t see them does not mean they do not exist. I will always think of my grandfather as my guardian angel. I feel that he watches over me every day, keeping me safe. I never knew my grandfather, but he knows all about me because he watches over me every day.