Uniqueness in Common

Gregory - Fort Ann, New York

Uniqueness in Common::

In my past I have experienced a vast range of emotions, from all the aspects of life that are either simple or complex. I have noticed that people develop psychologically as a result of families and childhood experiences, either for the better or for the worse. However as I aged I have noticed that some of our emotions seem to be controlled by other factors. In general, even though we share much in common, all of us are different. I believe in uniqueness.

I am a singular person. I also have a unique background. No one is me. Nobody has experienced the same parents, friends or experiences that I have. Faces and bodies are certainly different in appearance, however, we all share a common likeness, and we all die. How we die may carry another common similarity with one of my fellow man.

This is not an opposition to everyone else besides me. You are you. Your experiences are just that, they are yours. Other people may have been involved with your up bringing and your experiences. But no one can relate to all of those experiences except for you.

No only our physical characteristics define us but our mental status does also.. We all have had at least a single horrible experience happen to us. And that defines us. I am defined by the single experience that I experienced during my adulthood.

In my adulthood I fell in love. I loved another man as if we were man and women. This form of taboo was bad enough that many in society opposed our love. When we held hands, I could feel eyes moving over us, with disgust and loathing. Alas as is true in most young adult relationships, we separated. Our separation was a horrible experience and I felt that much of my life had no meaning. I fell into a horrible spiral of depression. However, a lot of this happened within a short period of time, and by a short period of time I mean it was within the first five minutes of our breakup. I cried and got over it.

We all will experience break-ups. Or we may have to experience fate much worse then the circumstances we can imagine in our minds. However, the sum of our scenarios in life makes us who we are. The only thing in life we all share in similarity is death. However we are talking about the good, the happier times, with others who are unique. The grouping of uniqueness makes our lives one, the one life we all live and contribute to.