The Time I had Meningitis

deirdre - cambridge, Massachusetts

It all started when I was at school and I was getting ready to go to lunch and I wanted some lip gloss and so I shared with my friend, and that’s when it all started.

With the kids scrambling around the living room, in an instant, my life flashed right before my eyes. My family was rushing upstairs to my house to see what’s going on. So much chaos was happening, I was almost pronounced DEAD.

First the food then the drinks it all came up so FAST. Since my loving and caring mother was with me, she put my clothes on and we were off to the hospital. With a speeding ticket not in my mom’s mind, we were weaving in and out of lanes in traffic. So many doctors and my mom were on the sides of the hospital bed, and the only thing on my mind was if I was going to make it.

It was a life changing moment in my life. I was stuck being disabled and unresponsive. IV’s were jammed in my wrist and with the excruciating pain, all I could say was “ahhhhhhh….” As hours passed by, I found out that I had M.E.N.I.N.G.I.T.I.S (meningitis). After everything was stable, I was swarmed with flowers and visitations. After days went by, I started to get better, but I had to relearn how to walk. Relearning how to walk wasn’t as easy as it seemed. It was one of the toughest moments in my life. I had to take one step at a time to get where I am at right now. But that wasn’t the end of it, I had to relearn to speak again because I wasn’t that fluent. Since I was well taken care of by such wonderful doctors, I learned to talk again, and I am speaking better than before.

What I learned from this experience was that you shouldn’t take life for granted because you never know when your life can be taken away. It can happen so fast that you’ll never know it.