Home Run

Rashad - cambridge, Massachusetts

Six years ago I learned to never give up. I was seven years old and I had been playing baseball ever since I was four.

It was a nice summer, hot day when I had my first summer league game. It was on a Friday night when my team North Cambridge was playing Westford in North Cambridge. We were losing by two in the fifth inning with two men on base, I was up to bat and we have two outs. It was up to me to get on base or to hit the ball or put it in play. My coach told me to have fun no matter what happens and have discipline. So I got up there nervous as anyone could be, knowing that this could be my last chance. Then the pitcher threw the ball and I swung and missed. Then once again he threw the ball but this time I hit it and it ended up being a homerun. After that one of my teammates was up and he hit the ball but got out. So then my couch put me in to pitch. Instead of being nervous I had a lot of confidence even knowing I could blow this game. I had to pitch against one of there best hitters and we were only up by one so I had to strike him out. So I threw the first pitch and he swung and missed. Then I threw the ball again and he swung and missed and everybody including people in the crowd was screaming. Once again I threw my fastest pitch right down the middle but he didn’t swing and the umpire said strike three and everybody went wild. So that meant I only had to face two more batters. The first one had hit the ball in the air but the short stop on my team had caught it.

Knowing that we had two outs felt extremely good. So I began to relax as I was throwing the ball to my catcher. So the first pitch I threw to the batter he had hit a ground ball back to me and I scooped it and made a nice and easy play to first.

Suddenly the crowd screamed and jumped up and down and my teammates and I were going wild knowing that we had just won the championship game. If it wasn’t for my coach for giving me good advice that kept me calm I don’t think I could have ever got through that game. My advice to people who play sports is to never give up and always believe in yourself because anything could happen in a game or situation like I was in.