Being an Immigrant

Rebeca - boston, Massachusetts
Themes: immigrant

Being an immigrant doesn’t mean you can’t be a great leader. When you decide to immigrate it’s not because you don’t like who you are or where you’re from. It means just that you don’t have that many opportunities to succeed. My family didn’t want to move from El Salvador but the opportunity and jobs were getting worse each day. My mom came to the United States and I stayed with my grandparents. My grandpa was a great father for me but I still needed my mom’s love. Although she called me everyday, I had to stay without my mom for 5 years. My mom always had been with me and the only reason she came here was because she wants to give us all we need. Living without a mom is the worse thing can happen to a child. My dad left me when I was 6 months old.

When my grandpa died I got really depressed because he was the person that I lived with for a long time. A month after my grandpa died my mom came and decided to immigrate with my sisters and me. For me it wasn’t easy to succeed in this country because I didn’t know anything about the United States.

I got really desperate when I couldn’t understand my classmates’ conversation at school. The teacher decided to keep me back one grade because I didn’t know English and they were scared that I would fail. They also assigned me an ESL teacher. This teacher’s name was Ms G. Ms G always helped me with everything not just to succeed academically but also a moral lesson. She was the one who taught me my first words in English. Thanks to her and my effort and all the hard work the we did together, she helped me to skip one grade. They decided to put me back in the grade I was supposed to be in so I skipped 8th grade.

Now I just want to keep my grades good so that my teachers get proud of me like they have been so far. English was my hardest challenge because I came here with no English not even how to say hi. Now I know how to speak English, not perfect but I try. I miss my country because it has been 3 long years without seeing my friends and my extended family, but I know that I wouldn’t have all this opportunity and support there. All the immigrants can succeed if they learn that life is what you make and dream of it.

My goals for now are to graduate from high school with good grades. Also I want to be someone that helps other people. Well some people think that immigrants just come here to take all the important things that Americans have worked hard to create. I am an immigrant but I didn’t come here to destroy anybody’s life. I’m proud to be an immigrant. If I work hard I know I can reach all the goals I have no matter how challenging is to achieve them. I believe that life is what you want it to be.