Daniel66 & The Ambassador Of Poetry

daniel - Eugene, Oregon

In 1991, I went out for coffee with a cashier named Katrina Sweinseid while living in Billings, Montana. During our time together, we started reciting poetry. Just words. After that experience, I took a poetry writing course. Before long, I started writing poetry, and then performing it at the local coffeeshops in town.

In 1994, I moved to Eugene, Oregon, where I live to this day. Several months after I settled in, I took up writing poetry, and performing it at an Open Mic at Cafe Paradiso. I became a regular, and eventually became an emcee in 1998, sharing my poetry with other artists in Eugene, and around the world.

In ’94, and ’95, I was invited to Washington D.C. by the International Society of Poets in Owens Mills, Maryland, to attend their Poetry Symposium. I shared words and met poets from all over the world, and was named Ambassador of Poetry.

My emcee duties came to an end in 2003. Cafe Paradiso went out of business a year later. I write poetry from time to time, but rarely perform it now. Open Mics are very rare.

In 2006, I took up blogging at tvguide.com under the user name Daniel66. I’m sharing my thoughts with a television connection to other bloggers in cyberspace. Just as I shared my words with an audience in real life.

This I believe. Poetry and blogging has made me more cognizant and more observant of the world around me. They have made me grow a deeper understanding of people and events, and my interpretations of them.

I have written about 1,000 poems!

A thousand observations.

Old friends. Tragic events. Places and things no one has even heard of.

Poetry challenges me like a Will Shortz New York Times Crossword Puzzle. I can make up words. Juggle them. Create a piece of clarity.

Songs by Steely Dan, and America.

James Bond films. Oscar winning movies.

Twisters: Right foot blue. Left hand green…

My apologies. You thought it would be about tornadoes!

Blogging allows me to share my private thoughts on current events and connect them through television, and open a door for discussion. Classic or forgotten TV shows resurrected on YouTube. Obituaries for actors I grew up watching given a paragraph in People Magazine.

And to come to terms with my past.

This I believe. Poetry and blogging permits me to make a connection with other artists, writers, bloggers, what have you in my community, around the world, and in the split-second cosmos of cyberspace. I’ve grown a deep respect for other people, and a deeper understanding of my faith.

Exoctic dancers put food on the table, a roof over their heads, and Bill Collector at bay!

Transexuals and their unique vision of the world.

And for some thing compeletly different: a drag queen who reminds me of “The Ugliest Girl In Town”.

This I believe. Poetry and blogging made me more observant. I learn from my observations.

I can’t wait to learn tomorrow.