Live Today

Cassie - Indian Trail, North Carolina

You know, as a little girl, I remember all I ever wanted was to grow up. I wished so badly to be a teenager, to be a big girl. I also remember my father telling me to slow down and that my childhood would be gone in the blink of an eye. I thought he was stupid. Yet I stand here now, fifteen years old and all I can think about is how strongly I wish I could be a kid again. Life comes so quickly. Sometimes I don’t even want to close my eyes in fear I will awake with half my life behind me. Nobody takes the time to appreciate being in the moment. We are constantly wishing for tomorrow, regretting yesterday or hating today. I would give anything to have my childhood back, to see my parents together again, to see my mom and dad happy like back then. There is nothing I want more than to have one more Christmas when Santa was real, when he ate the cookies and drank the milk we laid out on Christmas Eve. I would do whatever it took to re-live just one more day playing in the back yard with my sisters, to be carefree. I wish I could still play dress-up and have that imagination that could take me wherever I wanted to go and to be whoever I wante to be. The reality of it all I is that none of these things can ever happen. Life doesn’t wait for anyone and no matter how much we wish we could re-live a memory, take back a mistake we regret or change something in our past, we can’t. So stop for a minute and thank God for where you are today, because no one is promised anything and tomorrow is never guaranteed.