Assorted Thoughts on a Sunday Morning

Tess - Yellville, Arkansas

I think the word, “believe” has evolved into too big a word for me to use. While I realize the words “I believe” just mean that I “think” something, many people~ as soon as they adopt a “Belief”~ close the door to other ideas.

I think the term “common knowledge” is often interchangeable with “ancient folklore”. Many people read or hear unproven~ and often outlandish~ stories from old books and handed-down tales, and blindly accept them as truth.

I think we all probably have a purpose in life~ and no one knows what it is. Perhaps, we’re all here simply to consume this giant cell we call Earth. Thinking this way gives me more compassion for other human beings~ from model citizens to drugged-out bums~ we’re probably all fulfilling this purpose, without even knowing it. Anyone who says he knows why we’re here has either been fooled by someone else, is fooling himself, or is trying to fool you~ probably all three.

I think prescribing and enforcing the death penalty makes those who exact it no better than the person who receives it.

I think anyone who wants war should sign themselves up for it. Too old to go to war? Not fit for combat? Then perhaps you’re the best candidate. Why should we send our young ones~ with families, ambitions, and hopes for a more civilized world~ into the depths of hell, while we watch from our armchairs? Surely, it would be a more peaceful planet, if only those who wanted war actually went.

I think churches, especially the heavily-televised Mega-Churches, should pay taxes just as much as any other Big Business.

I think people should spend as much time and resources doing good as they do trying to look good.

I think anyone who wants a man on Mars should donate to the cause and leave my money out of it. Sure, it’s an exciting idea~ it’s just not that high on my wish list. I’d like to use my taxes for something more down-to-earth, no pun intended.

I think people in general are good and kind, but, unfortunately, all too easily lead.

Lastly, I think it’s a good exercise for us all to sit down and write what we believe. Save it for future reference, and in a year or two, write one called, “What I Believe Now”.