Inspiration not Perspiration (don’t sweat it)

Joy - Whitmore Lake, Michigan

About two years ago, my husband decided to learn the guitar. He didn’t do it because he wanted to be in a rock band. He did it because he wanted to – because it made him happy. Now he plays guitar everyday. He is expected to bring his guitar to family gatherings and sing the standards with my brother, uncle and cousins. He has inspired our daughter to learn guitar and to write music and it has become their passion.

About a year ago, my brother in-law decided to take up running. He didn’t do it to get into shape; at least not really. He did it because he wanted to – because it made him happy. Now he runs marathons and has a new group of friends that he runs with. He has inspired others to join him and it has become his passion.

About six months ago, my sister in-law decided to take an improv class. She didn’t do it because she wanted to be on Last Comic Standing. She did it because she wanted to – because it made her happy. Now she has accelerated to the next level and performs a few times a month with her troupe and she makes everyone around her laugh. It has become her passion.

This is what I believe. That everyone has a passion and it is something that makes them happy. It is something to do because they want to, not because they need to – like laundry or answering email. I believe that doing something that makes you happy makes the people around you happy. It inspires them.

Many years ago, I knew that I wanted to be a writer. I don’t really know why, but I don’t write as much as I want to. When I do it is because I have to – for work or school. My husband, sister-in law and brother in-law have inspired me. This essay is just the beginning. I am going to start writing more – not because I have to but because I want to. Because it makes me happy. It will become my passion.