(Un) Common Curtousy and a Little concideration for others (very little)

Joey - Duluth, Georgia

(UN) Common Courtesy and a Little Consideration for others (Very Little)

In 2008, it is easy to see that the idea of courtesy and consideration for others is out of style like an 8 track or a record player. I have learned that it was once common to be nice. Lately, it seems that people are oblivious to others around them and are so bitter that self-centeredness controls their lives. Older generations can see the void and I certainly can at 29, but it seems un-related to a certain age. It’s just random callous acts of human nature. The problem is most apparent as you use public restrooms, drive on highways, and even while your at the airport.

In the bathroom, do people not notice the urine spilled on the seat prior to the completion of the job? Do people enjoy wiping up the urine of others so much that they expect the next person to enjoy it too? You can see similar zombies walk right pass the sink to the exit knowing that their germs are being deposited on the door and their money to pay for their gas.

Self-righteous attitudes are evident on the highway too. Defensive drivers make it impossible for others to nudge into the same lane. Hasn’t anybody had to change lanes before? He or she sees the other persons signal but that only makes them speed up because they have no right be ahead of them. Those people missed their turn and will just have to turn around.

The same arrogance is evident at the airport. People just ignore the lines for parking spots and take two spaces with no regard to others. The people behind will just need to look further for a place to park. People rush rudely through the crowds to see the display for their in-coming passengers as though there are no other people that need to see the display. They are also the first to crowd the empty luggage carrousel. Soon other self righteous passengers crowd right up to the baggage claim and completely block any sight of luggage for people behind them. Elderly or otherwise slower people will just have to wait for those people to clear out of the way so they can see their own baggage.

The moral of the story is simple. Everyone has things to do so slow down. Rushing just makes you age faster. Be nice and treat others the way you want to be treated. During the day, wipe off the toilet seat, wash your hands, let other cars in your lane, park generously, be courteous when your in a crowd, and let people see their baggage. Who knows, maybe someone will return the kindness.