The Power of Forgiveness

Shaylece - South Jordan, Utah
Themes: forgiveness

I believe that everyone makes mistakes. With that belief also comes the belief that everyone needs to be able to be forgiven for those mistakes. I know that I am young and naïve, but I have also learned that forgiveness is the most powerful capability that the human race has. So often we hold grudges and become vindictive, but what good does that do us? In most cases the other person has long forgotten the event, but we hold on and are hurt. I believe that if we forgive others we are more likely to obtain forgiveness. It all goes back to that golden rule we learned when we were five, do unto others as you would have done unto you. Forgiveness is not always necessarily just forgiving others, sometimes the hardest time to forgive is when we have to forgive ourselves. So often we hold on to what we have done wrong longer and tighter than when we have to forgive others. Because teenage girls are not always the nicest humans on the earth, I have worked on making it easier to forgive others. I try to let the little things like snide remarks and the cliquish actions role off my back without me saying anything to them. I try to then give myself some time away from those individuals so I can not say anything that would make me feel that I need to ask for their forgiveness. These scenarios may seem petty, because they probably are, but they have taught me how much better it is to forgive and forget rather than hold on and be vengeful. As to the forgiveness of oneself, I haven’t really figured that one out. It’s easy to pretend I have, but I find years later that I am still holding on. To end, I would just like to say that forgiveness is possible for everyone! Never forget that message.