I believe

Nicole - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: death, fear

I believe most people view death as heartbreaking. When I think about death and dying I am overcome with sadness, because I know when my time is up, I will no longer be a part of this overcrowded, crime-infested, money-driven society. The only thing left of me will be a headstone that bears my name, birth-date and death-date. Death is something I have always been afraid of. I do not fear they way I am going to die, although I want to die peacefully. Rather I worry about dying too soon. I am the type of person who does not like to miss out on things and I feel like when I die I will. Through my religious beliefs I feel confident that I know what is going to happen to me after I die. I believe that most people are afraid of death, even though they may know what is going to happen to them after they die.

Death of an immediate family member or good friend is something I occasionally think about. I am afraid of the pain I will feel with such a huge loss and void in my life. I don’t know how I will react to such a big bereavement and I am afraid I will not be able to handle it. I have a close relationship with my grandparents and they both are turning eighty next year. Their health is somewhat good for elderly citizens, but I am fearful for the day it is time for them to leave this earthly state. So far in my life I have been extremely lucky, because death has only made its presence with distant family members and friends. I have not had to experience the pain and suffering most people have. I believe I will learn how to cope with death and the feelings associated with it, and I believe it will be hard.