Ryan - Herriman, Utah

This I believe, we can live life without regrets. Every day we are presented with choices, some of the choices we make are mistakes, life is full of them. Webster defines regret as: “sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond one’s control or power to repair.” The choice then is ours, to decide wither to live a sorrow full life or a life full of learning.

Simple mistakes are easy to learn from, when milk gets left out over night, throw it out, and learn not to leave milk out. When you leave your car lights on and your car won’t start because of it, you learn to double check and make sure your car lights are off. Larger choices you have in your life give even better lessons to learn, though by contrast they are easier to turn into regrets.

In ninth grade I was presented with the choice of transferring to cottonwood High school, to swim, or stay and go to Alta, which at the time didn’t have a swim team. I transferred. My high school days on the swim team made it worthwhile. I made the choice to transfer and swim, which came with the responsibility of getting up daily at 5:00 A.M. to get ready and drive the fifteen minutes to school for practice, along with staying two hours after school. I could easily look back and regret all the wasted time of practice and swim meets. Time which could have been spent hanging out with friends or even more important, sleep. As I look back, I don’t remember the races I won or lost. What stays with me is the dedication it took to wake myself up early in the morning, and to not skip practices.

Being a 28 year old man and divorced with a three year old girl, people ask, “Don’t you regret getting divorced or even getting married in the first place?” The answer is no. To regret getting married I would then also have to regret having my daughter. I cherish the time with my daughter. When I tuck my girl into bed, sing her a son, kiss her good night, her big brown eyes starred up at me one night and said,

“Daddy, I need to tell you something, I fell into the water, and went splash, then a crocodile at me. Then he ate Gigi and Papa. Then you came and saved me, and threw me onto the top of a building, to keep me safe.”

“I love you very much, Daddy”

Regret nothing.