Who Is An American

Bill - Carmel, California

The other day I listened to an NPR program where the interviewer asked people who they think an American is. My answer would be:

How much time do you have? Because there are a myriad of definitions of who is an American. I believe one definition of who’s an American is: A person who has the potential for work and then does work, with all types of people. People of different gender, race, religious and political beliefs.

The reason I chose work as a defining base, was from an experience I had a few years ago. I was donating some clothes to the Goodwill Station. Written on the side of the donation trailer were the words, “Never underestimate the power of work”. Those words stopped me in my tracks.

Since then, I have paid attention to, listened and watched for examples of the power of work. In that process I have truly come to believe in the power of work.

And if the definition of an American is, one who commits him or herself to working with all types of people, then I believe that is a good thing.