Why worry?

Mike - Park Hills, Kentucky
Themes: family, hope, legacy

Worrying is perhaps the most wasteful of human emotions. The energy expended and time wasted are neither recovered nor rewarded. That is not to say I do not care about myself or family and friends, or that I am not concerned about their well-being. Rather I believe that hard work and strong faith, in God and yourself, can produce contentment and a feeling of security. There is no value in concerning yourself with things that have not happened; whether its $ 7.00 a gallon gas or a tree limb falling on your roof in a storm. It is true that bad things will happen. You cannot shelter yourself from life’s downpours and maintain any quality of life. But if you are always looking for the dark clouds, you create and expectation of failure that limits what you can achieve or experience. Embrace your opportunities and see them as such.

I owe this outlook to my heritage. My father was a lawyer who at various stages in his career experienced significant power as a high ranking official in state government and later toiled as a low level public defender just to make ends almost meet. No matter what his professional position he was never worried. When his political appointment expired with the changing of the Governor, he struck out looking for the next opportunity to serve others with his practice. At the end of his career, and life, he disdained political maneuvering in favor of devoting time to his wife, my stepmother. He spent considerable time caring for her as she suffered through kidney failure and eventually got her through a transplant. He never worried that her outcome would be poor or about how the sacrifice might have affected his career. He had faith in the choices he made and faith that God would provide the outcome he needed.

My dad was a life long bird-watcher and late in his life would tell anyone who would listen, “Birds are proof of God’s existence”. I always interpreted that comment to mean that incredible variation and intricacy of species was, in his belief, too much to chalk up purely to evolution. The eulogy delivered by the minister at his funeral finally made me understand. The minister described how fragile and delicate that most birds are and illustrated that my father observed that birds don’t worry. My father believed that if birds, as one of God’s most delicate creatures weren’t afraid, then what did he have to worry about.

Don’t choose to sit safely on life’s sidelines while others soar to great heights around you. Instead, keep your faith, believe in yourself and work hard. Those traits will take you places that you don’t have to worry about getting to.