Love can over come

Sarah - Media, Pennsylvania
Themes: setbacks

I believe that love can over come any obstacle.

A fourteen year old with pain, you’d just figure a pulled a muscle, a bruise, or just another needed chiropractor appointment. A visit to the chiropractor two days after Christmas in 2006 turns out to be nothing good. I don’t have any pinched nerves or pulled muscles, something else was up. A visit to the pediatrician went the other way; my doctors were convinced that it was a pulled muscle. They would send me through some testing to see if anything else as wrong. Up until January 9, I went through a series of blood work, ultra sounds, a CT scan, and other tests. The CT scan on January 9, came back later in the day to show that I had a tumor on my adrenal gland. This gland secretes all hormones that are passed out to parts of the body, and one rests on top of each kidney. It was a shock to the whole family. My mom called my dad home from Mississippi; she let me get throu gh the day not knowing. She had called my boyfriend’s parents to let them know about the phone call he would get later in the day. The call was what my mom expected; my boyfriend and I hung up the phone crying.

Once my tumor was found, I went through more tests and questions and doctors and counselors. I felt like a lab rat. I was being poked and prodded like crazy. My family was always with me. My dad would get off work early and meet my mom and me in Children’s Hospital Of Philadelphia. My brother came home from college the day of my surgery and my other brother brought my class work home for me. Our family had more dinners together, though we were still just as busy. My surgery, on the 24th of January, put a damper on my physical activity, participation in school, and my grades. I had a full adrenalectomy, which means that my adrenal gland was taken out. With one removed my other one still works just as well. Another heart break came when my results from my testing came back that the tumor was cancerous. It just seemed to be getting worse. I went through a PET scan; this test checks your body for over active cancer cells. My mom was in the room during the test, even though I fell asleep. The test came back normal, with no cancer left in my body; things were finally getting back to normal. I know that other people have had it worse than me, and I’m not asking for sympathy, just the love from my family and friends

The pain still hasn’t completely gone away in May 2008. No doctor is really sure why I got the tumor. After months of genetic testing, results came back saying this tumor, normally in middle-aged people and genetic, wasn’t genetic. My brothers have been nicer to me, they pick on me less. My boyfriend and I had the inevitable talk about what we want him to do if something happens to me. He told me he loved me and that I would be fine. The tears that we shared couldn’t be held back. My family has been supportive of me when I didn’t feel well and needed a break, and when I wanted to go to school and they didn’t think I should. My extended family showed their love and support with not just helping me but for my parents, making dinners, sending fruit, and cards. Family came over to just talk and help my mom relax. My dad’s boss made sure that whenever my dad needed a day off, he was able to get it. I got cards, and stuff ed animals, religious medals and relics. What kept me from falling apart in the hardest days of my life was the love from my family. Cancer is horrible to experience, but with the love of others, anyone can get through it. Cancer can’t break up friendships or families, most of all it can’t break up love.

I couldn’t have done it without the love from my parents, boyfriend, family, friends, teachers, neighbors, and everyone else. It’s they who allowed me to believe that love can overcome anything.