Helping Change our Society

Brittany - USA

I Believe in Helping

I believe in the art of helping. As easy as it may sound, the simple satisfaction that one gets from the thought of being of some assistance to another human being has become less needed in one’s everyday life. The feeling of lifting someone out of a troublesome situation provides joy that I believe can not be reach by any other high or substitute for eternal fullness. The world has transformed into this self-sufficient place where no one needs each other. What a pitiful mindset. It’s destroying our souls and our world as we know it. Our very country was founded on the very thought of lending a helping hand, and as something loses it’s foundation it crumbles.

It doesn’t take much to help. Picking up someone’s dropped pen, tying a child shoes, sharing a gentle smile, or just listening to someone’s story of their rough day can all be something golden. The fact that you helped is not really what satisfies the moment; it’s the idea of love that you transfer through your actions of kindness. Our own personal agendas have blinded us to where we have become immune to even feel the affect of helping someone in need.

Throughout my life I’ve been told that I was too nice or that I needed to be a bit more selfish in some situations. But in order for me to compromise what I believe in and conform to the rest of society, I would have to turn my back on someone in need, and that I just can’t fathom. I guess my strong belief in help comes from the fact that in my childhood, financially I needed help. Basketball camps, field trips, and other costly functions were not easy to just come by when it came to money. Someone always found a way for me to participate. The art of helping was present around me and instilled in me at an early age. I grew up learning to help because I knew what it meant to be helped. I strive to always be the person you would come looking for if you needed anything. I love to be the person to save the day. All my life I wanted to be the leader of something because I knew that meant that I would get to take care of everyone else. I wanted to be a superhero, superwoman to be exact.

If everyone helped each other, the world would not only be a better place but a more sufficient place. The idea that the world must be in competition to continue to progress, has transformed our society into greed feigning animals. If only we realize that we can achieve so much more if we were to extend a little time towards one another instead of manifesting in our own dreams and glory. I challenge the world to help at least one person every day. And if that happened, oh, what a wonderful place this would be.