Majority Rules

Rory - Monroe, North Carolina

In today’s world more and more decisions are being made by the voice of one person. I believe that majority rules. The US constitution is based on majority rules, which is becoming false. Laws and decisions are being made because of one person’s beliefs or opinion. For example, prayer being banned in school is due to the beliefs of one person. Because one person did not want their child to be around prayer in school, no school is allowed to pray. Every major thing this country does is by a majority rule; voting for politicians, and deciding court cases being major ones. But over time these decisions have been influenced more by a single individual rather than a majority. Every time a single person makes a decision that will negatively influence the majority of a group, it weakens the principals our country is based on. I will never go against a majority. I might protest against the majority, but never side against it. If people are allowed to do what they want all the time, this country will not be the same super power it is today. Our government is based on a majority rule, but if one person gets whatever they want our government will eventually fail. There is no way that any country can function for a long time without a majority rule. This is shown through Russia, Japan, Germany, and Iraq. All of these countries were once ruled by a powerful dictator, and over time, they fell to an enemy that was united with a majority ruled government.

This whole problem is due to the fact that people today are becoming more and more selfish. People are not caring for anybody but themselves, even to the point where it is too much work to hold a door open, or help someone who is stranded on the side of the road. American people are becoming selfish and are not going to be able to last much longer acting this way. When people are in need there will not be anyone to help them because no one else cares.

When people realize that they can’t change the whole country with just their opinion our country will become stronger than it ever has. For example, I play football at Western Carolina University, and one day we were running sprints. Every time a group member wouldn’t run their hardest the whole group would have extra sprints. At the end the lineman group accumulated no extra sprints while the skill group had eleven. Our coach offered us a deal; the lineman would run five extra so everyone would only have to run five more. Us lineman decided to run extra to help our teammates. This was a bonding experience for us. We sacrificed for the rest of our team so they didn’t have to suffer. When people stop being self-centered and start caring about what is best for the population, there will be a major change in how this country is seen.