We Need to Live Our Own Life

Cameron - Newton, North Carolina

I believe that we, as adults in college, should learn to behave responsibly. I have found that college seems like an extension of high school. I came to take responsibility, but this could not be farther from the truth. It is considered normal to still be reliant on our parents while we are in college. For some, life is handed to them and they really could care less. I am not trying to infer that all students are ungrateful. Those who are paying their own way through school are usually more motivated and more likely to succeed. There are also some who are grateful for their parents sacrifice to send them to college and they attempt. I think the main problem for college students is that they are not required to grow up. In college, all I receive is my tuition and food. Anything else I must provide for by myself. By not giving me extra money my parents have forced me to grow up and seek out a job. Students that receive all they want will remain lazy, most likely never seek out a job, and be a drain on humanity, which can lead to dropping out of college and having to work minimum wage jobs for the rest of their life. The irony of this is that they will grow up when they are faced with the reality. They have screwed up their life permanently. I hope that I do not become like them. The only thing we deserve is to pay our own way through life. A continuation of high school should not be an option. I want to get ahead in life. This is why I left for college a month after I turned seventeen. Because my parents forced me to mature at a younger age, I felt I was prepared for college. I believe this will allow me to succeed in business and relationships with others. There was no need for me to wait for life, and I attacked it, preparing to be a leader in this world. I desire become more mature, and college has provided the opportunity. Time in college is something that should not be wasted and it is to our detriment if we do. Life is not all about fun, and we must step up at times. Colleges should provide less for the student in order to encourage maturity. If students are lazy and have a low GPA, the college should step in and force them out. Sometimes this does not happen permanently because students often come back on academic probation or other redeeming programs. The college is trying to repair the performance of someone who is not interested in succeeding. If students are not mature enough to manage their time and resources, they should not be considered. It is my belief and personal experience, that our goal in college should be to grow in wisdom, and to not be drawn into today’s norm.