Steroids are Tainting Sports

Robert - Raleigh, North Carolina
Themes: integrity, sports

Steroids are ruining all sports. There is not a lone sport that is being ruined. The two sports that jump out at me are baseball and wrestling. The only way that the hitters hit so many home runs is because they have had steroids recently. The names that come to mind are Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, and Sammy Sosa. The home run ball that Bonds’ hit to break Hank Aaron’s record was not accepted into the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York because of the supposed “tainting” that he has been accused of with steroids. The other two Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire had the famous race to see who could hit the most home runs in a season and break Roger Maris’ record, and now they are both mentioned in the Mitchell Reports that came out a few months ago.

Wrestling is a sport where you can tell that they use steroids because their muscles pop out of their shirts. There have been a few cases where the wrestlers became addicted to the drugs/ steroids and they would die from it because they would overdose on them and it would cause brain damage. These strong wrestlers should not take steroids, because all that they need to do is go and work out at the gym and let their muscles grow the way that they are supposed to and not grow because you put growth hormones in your body. I used to love watching wrestling, but then as I got older I realized that they were hurting their bodies because of all the steroids that they were taking and it made me not want to watch wrestling ever again.

I am assuming that there is some steroid use in football, but I am not sure. The NFL has a policy where if you are caught then you will be suspended for a year and not be able to come back until after your sentence, so I do not think that there are any football players that are willing to risk playing because they took steroids. I think that this is a good policy, because they are trying to make sure that none of their players get injured, so they are trying to make it so that they limit it to as few injuries as possible.

In conclusion, the athletes that take steroids are not only hurting themselves, but the sport itself because they are cheating the sport. There are sports fans that are not enjoying the sports anymore because there have been so many accusations, so the athletes need to realize that they are hurting more than the sport that so many people love. The fact that these athletes of today are being bad role models to the teens and children because these young people will look up to the athletes.