Peer Pressure- The Truth

Jordan - Boise, Idaho

We all do things at times that typically we wouldn’t do. I’m guilty of this as well, but I’m not anything more than the typical rebellious teen. At a time when experimentation seems to be the fad, I stick to my normalcy.

At times I wander fearlessly still yearning for acceptance that for some reason deep down we can’t live without. I do many things like talk the talk, listen to things that aren’t my style, and agree with things that have no meaning to me. Even though I do these things I’m not about to disregard all my moral beliefs and personal standards to achieve insincere approval from people that really have no purpose in my life, and don’t care at all what I do.

Even though I want this approval of others I still have the power to say no. I said no the drinking Smirnoff at the first party I went to. I stood up for what I believe and said no to smoking a joint when the first chance came up. Even though at times I do falter saying the simple words no have such a huge effect, with little damage to my social reputation. Nobody is going to trash me for not doing it, but in some ways respect me for having the courage to say no.

And because of these experience I believe that peer pressure is a lie. It’s something internally that we are born with, and exaggerate to compensate for our own wrong doings. Unfortunately it is pushed by the media and society has become reliant on this excuse. In reality peer pressure is a personal stress born with the need for approval and the desire to conform. At times it can be frustrating but I know I’m not the only one dealing with it.

Fear of the mythical peer pressure is a great pain. While the truth is that I wasn’t criticized for saying no like I thought but when it really counted I was better off than those who struggle with the addiction because they couldn’t say no. There are times in life when we are pressured, and some instances have negative effects, but we need to stand up for what we know.

And with that I believe that you have personal beliefs. Often you have already made your decision on whether or not you will do the things that others pressure you to do. I believe that I have my personal boundaries and know how far I will go regardless of what others say. This I believe that peer pressure is just a gateway for the weak, nothing but a meager excuse.