People CAN change

Robyn - Boise, Idaho

This I Believe…

I am a woman of an average nature. There is nothing exceptional about my looks or brains or humor. I find myself at the end of one of life’s many crossroads into the folly of the rest of my life; the journey that leaves behind the joys of childhood, and brings the strain and impossible demands of adulthood. On the next road, chaos is the norm. No one is there to pick you up off the ground like they did when you were in grade school when you tripped over your own two feet and scraped your knees. Except when faith comes into play…but that would be an entirely new This I Believe Essay.

It is my belief that people do change to accompany this new chaos…but only when they want to. Some are forever stuck in the world of sunshine and rainbows where many things in the world are still free (in this I am referring to the brave veterans who still live in their parents’ basement) and jobs are only for the purpose of purchasing the “it” video game of the moment. I can only come to one conclusion as to why they didn’t change while the people around them were changing at rates as slow as molasses or as fast as lightning bolts. I believe that their own self-development and mental care, which break into many factors, those of social, political, and even economic stature have prohibited them from changing. Social is an easy one to decipher- a persons’ social life in school can greatly determine their place in the next road. Political comes into play through siblings or lack thereof; it’s been proven that only children are devastated upon reaching the “real world” because the center is no longer on them. I myself am the youngest of two, and am shadowed by my older sister’s dynamic outlook and execution of life compared to my indolent nature. As the most difficult of the three to conclude, economics show that even your name can prove your persona or social status (thanks to the book Freakonomics by Stephen D. Levitt which claimed to support evidence that the rich would name their offspring a name that would later sift down to the poor within the next few years).

The real truth is that change is inevitable and even the 50-year-old living in their parents’ basement will eventually have to endure the death of the people who never really had the heart to kick them out. Yet, the choice is yours to change by choice or by force.