A Better World

Taylor - Boise, Idaho

Throughout the course of our lives, it is difficult to find a constant. We grow and we change our hair, our clothes, our friends, and our lifestyles. From the day we are cast into the world scared and afraid until the moment we die, it becomes increasingly difficult to tether ourselves to our environment and allow peace in our face-paced lives. But through our daily turmoil the thing we carry with us is our ever-expanding knowledge. That is why I believe our lives should be ultimately focused on ascertaining knowledge and using it to first better ourselves, and then to better the world.

It seems like we subconsciously place ourselves in invisible boxes. What occurs outside our circle of acquaintances might as well not occur at all since it will not affect us; but learning is what takes us out of our boxes and into someone else’s’ shoes. We have no idea how incredibly expansive our planet is until we learn to detach ourselves from our possessions and our world of texting and parties to see beauty and love and all these incredible entities that were invisible to us before. It is when these ideas become tangible that we must seize them for our own betterment.

As we grow ourselves and reach a new and wizened maturity, it is then our duty to better our world. I have read before that Utopia is merely an unattainable world on an entirely different plane of reality simply because mankind is unfit to inhabit a better world, we must first seek to better ourselves instead of vainly create new technologies and live off the spoils of the spoils of the many men and women more ambitious than ourselves. Why is it that we settle for mediocrity and live our lives on sustenance? Are we fine with the softened reality we see on television? That our happy endings will be laid out in front of us as opposed to something we must strive for? To work for something is to feel the splendor of accomplishment. A better world will not magically be wrought onto us by God, the President, or anyone else. We must struggle and build and through centuries of human betterment perhaps it will be time to let down our borders and preconceptions and live together as human equals to pass down our individual histories and wisdom.

I believe in a better world achievable through the things we learn and the people we influence. We will all become Frankenstein’s creations; composed of bits and pieces of those around us and in essence, perfect, connected to everyone on Earth in one way or another. We will no longer suffer in need for new cell phones and iPods because we will look around and discover we had the means for happiness all along.