Faith

Jessica - Windsor, North Carolina

I believe that if you have faith and a strong belief in a God, you can make it through anything. For as long as I can remember I have been attending church on a regular basis, either attending Sunday services or going to special events during the week. Being the daughter of a preacher also meant that religion was always present in my home. I was taught that prayer was the answer to every problem that I would ever encounter. I was saved at a young age but I soon learned that I did not have a clear understanding of what being saved meant.

When I was in the sixth grade my grandfather became terminally ill and passed away soon after his diagnosis. I vividly remember thinking if prayer fixes everything and being saved means that your are favored in God‘s eyes, why did my grandfather pass away even though he was a strong believer and attended church often until his health no longer allowed him to? I poised this question to my father and he explained that God wanted his child at home with him and my grandfather would always be with us as a guardian angel. After this I began to have my doubts about how religion worked so I dug a little deeper. I found that I wan not alone in this quest to understand my religion. Many before had experienced situations like mine and began questioning their religion. After doing a little research to strengthen my faith and belief in God I learned that prayer was not the only option when going through certain situations. Fasting, reading the Bible and listening to Christian music can also help when going through trying situations.

As of late my grandmother has been my inspiration; She has been battling kidney disease and its many complications for the last four years and last year she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Through it all she has maintained her strong belief in God and not once ever doubted that God would see her through. Last month she was deemed cancer free. Through my grandmother I have learned that continuous prayer and trust in the Lord will help you through tough situations. Over the past twenty-two years I have experienced several situations that have both tested and strengthened my trust and belief in God. Through it all I have become closer to God and have a stronger belief in my religion.