Unseen Good

Judith - Wilson, North Carolina

Unseen Good

I am too forgiving. This is sometimes viewed as my character flaw. I believe in the goodness of every person. If a person has faith in the belief that everyone has some good in them, he or she can get through anything. I also believe that being able to see the best in others no matter how awful they’re portrayed in society is the best quality one can have. My father left my family when I was two years old, or around that age. A few years later my mother died from AIDS, and I moved in with my relatives. My parents are a taboo subject in my life. We don’t discuss them and even thinking about them is frowned upon. Besides, why would anyone want to know or get to know about a dead beat father who walked out on his family and a woman that was “fast” and got infected? The truth is however, regardless of what they did and what it cost all of us, I still think my parents are the best human beings in the world. Don’t get me wrong, I view my uncle and aunt with high regard for taking me in. However even though they are the only parents I’ve ever known, they can never compare with or replace my biological parents. But they are a close second. They took me in when most people would have worried about what it would cost them and what exactly was in it for them. We may have our rough times but I still believe in them.

My father is and will always be superman. Even though I’m old enough to realize and understand that he will never be back in my life, I still find myself hoping to see his face every time I turn a corner or hoping it’s him whenever I get a call from an unknown number. I have no bad memories of him, so I cannot hate him. No woman on this world can compare to my mother. Everyone makes mistakes, and even though hers’ took her out of my life, she is and will always be the best and most beautiful woman I’ve ever known. This I hold dear no matter what the rest of the world thinks or says. My father is still a man who can do no wrong, and my mother is my reason for being. I am my mother’s daughter and nothing could make me more proud or happier than that single statement. My parents, although indirectly, have helped shape how I view the world. I’ve learned that life happens and we’ve always have to move on, and that there’s always two sides to a story. Everyone, no matter their background or what they have been through has unseen good in them. This is a lesson more precious than most.