My opinions

Jean - New Germany, Minnesota

I am a bleeding heart liberal so far left I tend to come out as a socialist. That said, I don’t always fit along party lines, but I probably come close.

I believe that it’s no one’s business what consenting human beings capable of informed consent do in their own bedroom and that the government has no business getting involved in that.

I believe in God, to use a convenient term for the Something More I have experienced.

I believe in seperation of Church and State, and I believe in keeping my God to myself unless asked, and I believe that every single human being on this planet has the right to make that choice for themselves. I believe that missionaries who sermonize while handing out food to the starving are coercing the desperate. I believe that if someone behaves out of love for God and for humanity, that is far more effective than any sermon could possibly be any way.

I believe there are fanatics on both sides. Heck, I believe there are fanatics on nearly every issue on the planet, and that most of them are far crazier than the people who believe differently than they do.

I do not believe in gun control. I think it’s an overly simplistic “solution” that has not solved what it seeks to, does not address the problems that come from a violence-loving society, and seeks to infringe upon a Constitution that has already borne far too many trespasses by power-mongers and control-seekers.

However I DO believe that if a toddler has ever shot its sibling with your gun, you should never be allowed to own a gun again, and furthermore, you should never be allowed to have another child.

I do believe some breeds of dog are far more likely to bite and far more likely to kill than others, the same as I believe some breeds of dog are far more likely love swimming than others. However I do not believe this means all dogs of any specific breed will bite, that any breed is evil, or that all Newfies like to swim. I do think if you own a dog that has ever maimed someone unprovoked, you should never be allowed to own a dog again.

And probably also not kids.

I believe that it is a gross offense against common sense that a country as wealthy as ours does not provide universal medical care for every single child that lives in our nation. Argue about adults and welfare states and laziness all you want, there is no reason children should not be taken care of. It is never the child’s fault their parents are poor, no matter why. And these children are our future as a nation, we need them bright and we need them healthy. Children cannot learn if they have sore teeth because their parents can’t afford a dentist or because Medicaid isn’t accepted by most dentists anywhere – and it’s outrageous that any child should have died because of this, and yet that’s happened.

I believe state universities should be free. I have no idea how I would implement that.

I believe a community – and a nation – is only as good as their care for their most vulnerable members. I believe in most cases, private charity serves the vulnerable better than the government ever has.

I believe in the power of the human heart, for good or evil. I believe that most people want to be as good as they possibly can as loving human beings.

And I believe most people are lazy, and will often choose to fall short of that simply because it’s easier – and I believe I myself have done this more than I would like to admit.

I believe in ghosts. I believe in aliens (though I don’t necessarily believe they visit us). I believe in True Love. I believe in love at first sight. I believe that love can last a lifetime.

Or lifetimes, because I do believe in reincarnation.

I believe in hope and in joy.

I believe capital E Evil exists. I believe that mundane evil does far more to undermine joy and safety than Evil ever will.

I believe that people can heal if they choose to. I believe that people can be honest and can be courageous if they choose to.

I believe in the death penalty. I don’t believe in vengeance, but I believe some people simply need to end, because they will never stop harming other human beings as long as they live, and I believe as social animals we have the right – and the responsibility – to effectively remove them from that ability, and that it is likely more humane just to kill them then to lock them away from the rest of the world and allow them no contact with anyone ever again.

I believe in the death penalty in the case of serial rapists and serial child molesters and serial murderers – and pretty much no one else.

I do not believe that the death penalty is handled fairly or with Truth. I do not believe the death penalty is handled without vengeance or cruelty. I do not believe that the people who are in power most of the time have any business overseeing who lives and who dies, and I would not want to be the person who does have that power.

I believe that every single one of us has the responsibility to remove our own ignorance as it affects those around us and ourselves. I believe every single person on this planet is ignorant in some way. I think that if you choose to be ignorant in the face of harm, you no longer deserve to sit at the grownup’s table.

I don’t believe we’re living in a world that is darker and more evil than it was 50 years ago. I believe we’re living in a world that provides more access to the darkness, and that we’re living in a world and with a media that knows that evil and twisted shit is big business.

I don’t believe movies cause anyone to kill or porn causes anyone to rape.

I do believe prostitution should be legal because if this is my body then it is my body and I can charge for it if I like. I believe making it legal will save lives.

I don’t believe in the War on Drugs or the War on Terror. I’d be less afraid if I was more stoned, I am sure. I believe that healthy adults have the right to make choices for themselves of what they put in their own bodies. I believe if someone makes toxic choices that affect their children or their community – for instance, driving under the influence -THEN they should lose the power of that choice.

I don’t believe the world would be a better place if I were in charge. I believe if I were in charge the world would burn to the ground in a day. I believe that the only reason I am willing to voice my opinions like this is because I don’t have to be in charge and because I know that if I am wrong, my voice will be countered by others. Heck, if I’m right, it’s going to be countered.

I believe there’s a good chance I am wrong about most of this list. But I do believe that the human heart is an incredible thing of power and beauty, and I will never believe otherwise.