Megan - Greenville, North Carolina

In 2008 I had been out of school for two years trying to figure out my life and what I wanted to do. During this time I wasn’t honest with my parents, family, or friends about what I was doing. I would sign up for classes but I would never actually go to class. I was very unhappy and my depression only got worse.

I was really hating school and myself but I didn’t want others to know what I was going through so I didn’t tell anyone. I would pretend that everything was okay and if someone asked about school I would lie. There were so many lies that by the end I couldn’t keep them all straight. It got to the point that I was physically getting sick everyday and I was starting to avoid talking to my parents. Everyone could tell something was wrong with me but I wouldn’t tell anyone how I was feeling.

One day last April I realized I had to come clean to my parents. I was at a breaking point and realized that I needed my family’s help. They came to Greenville, helped me get back in school, found me a therapist to help me deal with my personal issues, and they are still helping me out financially as much as possible. I am so lucky to have parents that understand me and love me.

With the help of my parents, family, and friends I have gotten my life back on track. I am still fighting my depression and my demons everyday but I have made some major improvements with the help of those that love me. I believe that with the support of family a person can do anything.