Our Greatest Fear

Kaitlin - Boise, Idaho
Themes: fear

Our Greatest Fear

As a child while I was growing up my life was simple. I rode my scooter to school, hung out with my friends, and watched the Disney Channel. There was nothing wrong in my world and I was content. I look back now and realize how naive I was to the world around me.

Now, as I approach my graduation it’s not so simple anymore. I am terrified of the unknown. Nothing is decided. No plans have been made. My fear is the possible and the impossible. The idea that I have the power to accomplish anything scares me. All the opportunities that this country gives us are open to me.

I fear what I have been taught and prepared for. I fear what I’m predestined to do and what God has planned for me. How can I change the world? Will I be important or significant? Will I fit? My favorite quote by Marianne Williamson answers these questions. “Our deepest is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are more powerful beyond measure.” I believe that our biggest fear is not that we can’t do something, or be someone, it’s that we can. I believe that what we are capable of is what holds us back. “Your playing small does not serve the world.” You are scared because you know you can do it. The possibility that it will happen is too broad. How are we supposed to do this? How do we put ourselves out there? I have no idea.

My only answer, one big leap of faith (And for me, some ice-cream and Diet Pepsi). Use that fear. Let that burning fire, or butterflies, or lack of self-confidence draw you to your destiny. Laugh as much as you can. Cry as much as possible. Love your family and friends. Live your life by following what you heart tells you. Because I believe that if you fear it, then it’s possible. The power that I hold to change things is my fear, my generation’s fear, and the world’s fear. This I believe.