Life is Like a Road Trip

Vince - Omaha, Nebraska

I believe that a road trip is a good analogy for life.

I believe that my best road trips have been those that provided the opportunity for meaningful experiences along the way.

I believe that the first leg of my own road trip ended almost before I was even aware that it had begun. I felt more like a passenger on somebody else’s trip.

I believe that I was in my mid-twenties when I got down to establishing my own route through life filled with spouse, career, home, and children. I believe that this leg of the journey was when I realized there was more sand in the bottom half of my hour-glass than the top half.

I believe that navigating through life has been like backing down the highway by using my review mirror. It’s often been easier to see where I’ve been than where I was going. I believe that many road trips contain unplanned detours, bad weather and accidents along the way.

I lost a good friend to cancer about ten years ago. His sudden death helped me to understand that my journey with others may be shorter than I anticipate.

I believe that I should pay attention to those places in my trip where my life intersects with others.

I believe that, while I can’t be responsible for everyone, I can be responsible for myself. I believe that small kindnesses cost little and are worth much.

I believe in looking other people in the face and smiling at them when our eyes meet. I believe in holding the door for others when I’ve opened it and they are about to pass through. I believe in saying ‘please and thank you’ for services received.

I believe that I can extend a personal courtesy to others by slowing down in my car. I can help to save lives, save frayed nerves and save gas by taking my foot off the car’s accelerator and being thoughtful of others.

I believe in reaching out to old friends with whom I have lost contact. I believe in writing a letter by hand to show people that I remember how.

I believe I should sit on my front porch during summer evenings and stare at the clouds and nighthawks. I believe I should watch the fireflies and listen to the cicadas as the darkness deepens.

I believe I should invite my neighbors over for a cold beer or a glass of iced tea and ask them what they believe.

I believe that life is too short to do otherwise.