The Word of the Day is…Life

Timmy - Springfield, Massachusetts
Themes: work

Casually walking through the mall, I hear shouts and name calling directed towards me. Should I retaliate back towards my aggressors? No, because I believe that the little things in life aren’t worth your time to be dwelled upon. You see, once you dwell upon the small things in life; you miss out on the great things which are generally the important things in your life. Once you miss out on the great things in life, you might feel a moment of regret which might causes you to dwell upon that as well. This constant dwelling upon moments in your life will cause a snowball effect, just because you want to get even with the people that start it in the first place. There were moments in my life when I had grudges toward others but I find ways to resolve them by finding inner peace.

Growing up with Spastic Diplegia which is a form of Cerebral Palsy, my parents ingrained into my mind a belief that I still live by today. I believe that being strong in the face of adversity is the foundation for life. Having mental strength rather than physical strength can lead one to accomplish anything one chooses to do in life. I proved this belief when I was twelve years old in a Tae Kwon Do Dojang. Tae Kwon Do involves a series of complex and aerial kicks but this is what I want, it is what I want to do and I knew from the start I wanted to become a Black Belt. This determination fueled by aspiration led me to have the courage to carry on even though there were moments when I wanted to quit. Fortunately for me, this will to quit got incinerated by the fire and passion that I had set to accomplish my goals. I trained constantly and then there it was, four years later on that faithful May afternoon, I proved to myself that I had mental strength.

With this confidence in myself, I moved forward on my journey in life to a place known as “High School.” In high school I believe that I hold the key to my own destiny. Having the key to my own destiny is like having the key to my own car and wherever I want to go is completely up to me. Driving this “car” meant that I control my grades by deciding how much effort I am willing to put in every night and in the classroom. Well, having exceptional grades is only one aspect of a catholic high school. There are other components as well such as spiritual, mental and physical growth. I believe that these four components of my education are with me in my ride of destiny. I’m only a senior in high school, so my life is unwritten and I know that I hold the pen to my life. Wherever the next chapter in my life takes me, I believe I can always accomplish extraordinary feats.