I believe children should be seen and heard

Megan - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: children, respect

I grew up in an abusive household. I was not abused everyday but abuse under any circumstances is unacceptable in my book. During a time in my teenage years I recall a specific incident between my mom and me that damaged me emotionally. I cannot remember exactly how the argument took place but I remember my mom and me arguing over what I eat for lunch at school. The reason we were having this argument was because she believed that I was eating junk food at school and that this was the reason for the gained weight. Of course there was no truth to her accusations so I felt I had to defend myself by writing her a letter since she would not listen to what I had to say. In my letter I spoke of how I felt unloved because of her frequent criticism about my weight and that I should not have to give her a daily report of what I ate at school. That morning I gave her the note and asked her to read it. However, she said “No, I am right and I am not going to read it.” Then she set it in the cup holder of the vehicle. To my disappointment when she came to pick me up after school the note was still sitting there, untouched and unread.

It is because of this event in my life that I choose to work with adolescents. This group of youth is significant to me because during the teenage years you are trying to find your identity and you are forming your self esteem. I think that this is an important milestone in a person’s life where their feelings and opinions need to be heard by the people they love and respect. This is why I believe children should be seen and heard.