Overcoming hurdles in life

Alvaro - Chicago, Illinois

Overcoming the hurdles of life.

I lived in my grandmother’s house, around people that I didn’t used to live with, away from home, away from friends, away from my father. I was 11 and I didn’t know why my mom was taken away. She was gone and I had to move on. Nobody said anything about my loss. It was the saddest day of my life, I will always remember it. I’ll never cry that much again. All this made me stronger emotionally and it couldn’t have happened without this event.

I believe that every hurdle in life teaches us something new, in order to overcome and be better in different aspects of our lives.

Beginning my studies in Chemical Engineering a few years ago was exciting and tough. I didn’t do well. The first two years were a waste of time. I didn’t take it that serious. Then, I realized how important the grades were. I studied harder than ever to the point that I was able to teach others. That was my first job in university. Two years later learning French, I felt like failing, no able to understand. However, friends came along and everything was smooth since then. If I hadn’t tried, I wouldn’t have gotten this far.

Jumping from city to city, from one country to another, from one culture to one completely different, family, friends and acquaintances were left behind. Nobody stood by my side. Just me and the new world. I had to grow and be patient if I wanted to go on. While looking for status and stability, I found a way to be independent.

In my late twenties, when I moved to Montreal, the doctors found a tumor with an illness already spread in my body. Not only was cancer an unknown word for me, but CT scan and chemotherapy were two more. Alone in the hospital, in my room, in the halls, accompanied by doctors and nurses who were the only ones to talk to or to wait for. I did well, and I never felt sick or unable to go on. I was confident and certain that I’d be back to my normal life away from this treatment. I defeated my fears. I was stronger than ever. I recovered successfully. I was reborn full of joy and life.

Every experience is a new one. It could bring obstacles or just a lesson to learn and how to use it in the future. I survived and I passed many hurdles to be where I am, to feel what I feel, to see what I see and to tell what I lived.