I believe in writing

Jane - valley village, California

I believe that writing is the best way to express your feelings. No matter if it’s poetry, diary, or a song, nobody will carelessly judge the things you say.

It started in the beginning of the year 2007 and I was so fed up with my relationship at that time. I couldn’t think straight, I didn’t know what I wanted and I broke down and cried. I was helpless not knowing who to talk to or how to cry out to someone about my personal problems. I felt like my boyfriend wasn’t treating me the way I want to be treated and I knew that I had to make a right decision for myself.

All along I knew that communication is the most important key in relationships, but my boyfriend and I just couldn’t handle it. It was too hard for him to speak up about his own feelings and to let me know about the things that bothered him. After a while, I got tired of asking him to speak up and to let me know where he stood, so I wrote him a letter.

It was then when I began writing to him about my true feelings and the things that I would love for him to do without me asking. The first couple of times it started with a letter and then it formed into a list of likes and dislikes. I would write about the littlest things that hurt me even though it seemed silly to point them out.

A few months passed by. Instead of writing a letter to him, I started to communicate in words. I saw little improvements in his behavior, and now, even though it’s not always perfect, it sure is close to perfect. I know writing helps me through my emotional moments, no matter if they are happy, sad, or hateful. Before long, I began writing songs about my relationship. As a young couple, we have been through so much in the past three years. It was hard for us to communicate verbally until we discovered another way to communicate to each other. I noticed how fancy song writing could be, with all the right number of syllables and the words that must rhyme in every other line. I ended up loving it.

I started writing more when I began having trouble speaking my opinions out loud and when I felt like I had nobody to talk to. It feels very good to know that if I don’t have the guts to say something out loud to someone, I can always write it down and read it to that person.

I believe that writing is the best way to express your feelings and to say what you need to say without any disruption from anyone. Pick up a piece of paper and a pencil and start releasing your pain and let go of your anger or happiness in words.